The historic landmark tower at Castle Hill is approximately a one mile walk away from the village centre of Almondbury. From there you can see across to the neighbouring villages of Lepton and Farnley Tyas to the East; Huddersfield Town Centre; the village of Honley; and across the valley towards nearby Holmfirth (six miles to the south west).
Holmfirth has for many years been a very popular tourist destination, made famous by the BBC series ‘Last of the Summer Wine’ and is also known historically for being one of the very first places to produce moving pictures on film, as well as for its excellence in textile production.
Lepton and its hamlets of Great Lepton, Gawthorpe, Highgate Lane, Lascelles Hall, Lidgate and Rowley have been around for hundreds of years. Whitley Willows mill was first shown on the 1780 map.
The Sun pub as has been around as a coaching inn since the very early 1800s and was sold by Dame Sarah Lambert in 1897 to Seth Senior and Sons brewing company.
The old Bar house opposite The Sun pub, a small single decker cottage, was once a bar house on the old turnpike and it is a rare survivor of the collection of tolls to pay for maintenance of the road.
Lepton is also famous for being the home of Standard Fireworks which was opened in 1891 and employed around 500 people. This site was closed in 1987.